Researcher Rates for 2018
All prices are in US American Dollars. For printing purposes, a PDF of all rates and fees is located here.
|TYPE OF APPLICATION||FEES|
|New/Renewal||$100.00 if submitted on or before February 1, Additional $90 processing fee if received after Feb 1st.
|Student||Free if submitted on or before February 15
$35.00 if submitted after February 15
|Animal Care Protocol||$45.00 if submitted on or before February 1
Additional $35.00 processing fee if received after February 1
Supplements for approved projects
|Free if submitted on or before February 1
$40.00 processing fee if submitted after February 1 and requires extensive review
Station Use Fee: $21.00/day for every person 17 or over living in Gothic. The station use fee is calculated from the arrival date until the departure date; individuals will be charged for days during which they are gone unless they have completely moved out of their cabin in Gothic and made prior arrangements with the Director of Finance and Operations.
This fee also applies to researchers and research assistants who live off-site but work through RMBL to cover administrative research-related costs. While station fees are charged for family members living in Gothic, this is not the case for family members of researchers living off-site. For some researchers who live offsite and work through RMBL we recognize that charging station fees from arrival to departure date may not be appropriate. In such a case, the Principal Investigator may request in writing to the Director of Finance and Operations to get an amendment and to propose how the offsite researcher station fees should be counted. Please include which part of your stay does not have anything to do with RMBL research.
Undergraduate Students Participating in RMBL Education Program
- Applications: $35 submitted after Feb.15; there is no fee for applications submitted on or before Feb.15.
- Deposit: A personal $500 deposit must be received from every accepted student and REU. The deposit will be cashed and returned at the end of the summer season pending outstanding charges. The deposit cannot be applied towards program fee.
- Coursework fees: $6,700 for the 10-week summer session (June 8 – August 16). This is one program fee that includes 70 consecutive days of housing, meals, station fees, and tuition.
- Airport/Bus Station Transportation: RMBL will arrange Alpine Express Shuttle Services for students arriving on June 8 and departing on August 16 to and from the Gunnison Bus Stop (Power Stop) or the Gunnison Airport, if booked on or before May 1st. The cost to book shuttle transportation through RMBL is $50 per person each way. After May 1st, the student will need to arrange for their own travel to Gothic.
- Early arrival and late departure: All students receive 70 consecutive days of housing, meals, station fees, and tuition. Two additional days may be added onto the beginning and/or the end for no additional cost. Students are responsible for paying for any days beyond those. RMBL does not reduce fees for shorter stays or when the stay is outside of the Dining Hall opening hours.
Deposits: PIs, RAs, staff, and family members should not submit deposits; all accepted undergraduate students pay a $500 deposit fee.
Housing: Detailed information on housing can be found here.
- Between April 1st and May 1st, researchers or their assistants who change their length of stay for a total of more than 7 days (e.g. if you planned to be in Gothic for 65 days but change that to 57) will incur a one- time fee of $100.00.
- Any date changes after May 1st that result in a total reduction in length of stay of more than 7 days during the period of June 1st and August 24th will result in a charge of 100% of the lost revenue associated with station fees, laboratory fees, and housing to RMBL (after the 7 days have been subtracted).
- Dates may be changed once at no charge. After one change has been made (either reduction or extension of stay), RMBL will charge a $25.00 processing fee for each additional change of dates affecting the period between June 1st and August 24th. The processing fee does not apply to date changes affecting early season arrivals or late season departures.
- Fee waivers will only be granted in cases of personal illness (with doctor’s documentation) or family emergencies such as death or illness in the family.
- Researchers who decide after May 1st that they wish to extend the length of their stay, should understand that housing and lab accommodations may not be available. There is no financial penalty for extending a stay. If a researcher decides to extend their stay, they will need to let the Administration office know as soon as possible. A researcher may not be able to stay in the same cabin if the stay is extended.
Laboratory, Office & Storage Fees: Please go here to read about laboratory and office space rental rates as well as storage fees.
Meals: Residents in non-cooking housing have priority for space in the Dining Hall, and meal costs are included in their housing rates. For those in cooking cabins, it is possible to purchase a variety of meal plans, as long as space allows. For those eating all of their meals on the meal plan, meals are $32.50/day. Detailed information on Meals can be found here. Menus are posted weekly to aid in meal planning. There are different meal costs for researchers as compared to the general public.
Individual meals cost for researchers are:
• $8.75 for breakfast
• $12.25 for lunch
• $14.50 for dinner
• Children under 4 are free and ages 4 -12 are half-price.
Use of Domestic Kitchen: Residents who would like to use the domestic kitchen in the Community Center will sign up through the Administration Office to have a zone and code assigned. The cost is $25.00 for the season. If RMBL assigns a resident to use the domestic kitchen, due to other housing constraints, the use is free. A cleaning fee of $45.00/hr may be charged if the space is not left in a clean condition after check-out.
Parking: Parking permits in Gothic are mandatory and need to be purchased per vehicle. Detailed information on Parking can be found here.
Groups: RMBL has special rates for visiting groups. Please go here for details.
Grants Run Through RMBL: RMBL provides a 25% discount on station fees and housing paid by grants or subcontracts run through RMBL.
Pets: Pets, such as dogs or cats, are not allowed at RMBL any time of the year. Pets should not be inside the RMBL fence line, even within vehicles. Please park vehicles with pets at the Visitor Center parking lot or on the county road. People violating these restrictions will be warned once, and then fined $50.00/incident.
Smoke-Free Campus: The RMBL campus is smoke-free, and there is no smoking allowed within the RMBL fence line. Smoking is allowed on the county road only.
Phones: A phone line can be installed at your request in the laboratory buildings in your lab and in the following cabins: Galena, Gates, Mt. Emmons, Rogers Boggs, and Teocalli. We are not installing them in more cabins because of the challenges of running and maintaining physical lines, including cost as well as ground disturbance. RMBL charges $65 per summer for the installation and maintenance of a phone line. All charges are in addition to CenturyLink fees for service and installation.
Linens: Sets of linens may be rented from the Administration Office at a rate of $55.00 per set. This rate is charged for each time the linens are distributed to an individual. For example: there will be a $55.00 charge for the linens upon initial distribution. If an individual wishes to have RMBL wash the linens during their stay, there will be a $55.00 charge for each time the linens are returned to the user after being laundered. A set of linens includes: a fitted sheet, top sheet, blanket(s), bath towel, pillow, and pillow case.
RMBL will charge $45/person/hour with a $45.00 minimum for dealing with personal items. This includes, but is not limited to, cleaning up personal items in cabins, moving personal items between cabins, shipping large or time-sensitive items, moving items between research labs, and cleaning up research materials in the field.
Trash: Private residences in the vicinity of Gothic that wish to use RMBL trash will be charged for such use. Access to this service will be a one-time fee of $80.00 for the entire summer, regardless of how often the service is used.
RMBL Transcripts: Official RMBL transcripts are available at $10.00 per transcript. Transcript details are found here.
Nordic Huts: RMBL has two cabins available from November 23rd to March 31st as part of the Nordic Hut System. Go here for more information. RMBL rates are available for: RMBL scientists with an active research plan, RMBL members who have donated within the last 12 months, and special education groups with approval from the Facilities Director or Executive Director. Renters who rent through RMBL pay the following rates:
- Maroon cabin accommodates up to 8 people, and rents to a single party or group
- $225.00/night: 10% discount during peak time (defined as holidays, Friday/Saturday nights Jan-Mar)
- $187.50/night: 25% discount during off-peak (all times not defined as peak, i.e. weeknights or early season)
Responsibility to Pay Fees: Once accepted, researchers, research assistants, students and others are obligated to pay all fees that apply to the facilities and services they have requested. Principal Investigators are responsible for the financial obligations of all team members they employ. Persons delinquent in payment of fees may not return to RMBL until all outstanding bills for themselves and their research teams have been paid. All individuals are responsible for any collection fees above and beyond interest charges for accounts delinquent more than one year. It is RMBL’s policy to take payment of incurred fees with either check or cash. We make exceptions to this policy for international scientists only. U.S. scientists can apply in writing to the Director of Finance and Operations for an exception which will be granted only under extreme circumstances.
Exceptions: Any exceptions to these rates and policies must be granted in advance in writing from the
Director of Finance and Operations or the Executive Director.
Interpretation: The rate sheet supersedes any other information on the website or that is given orally. In case of a contradiction, we go by information on the rate sheet. Interpretation of this rate sheet is by the Director of Finance and Operations and can be appealed to the Executive Director.