What to Bring
Must Haves in Gothic
(Please note that RMBL does not provide linens, sheets, towels, etc.)
- Sleeping bag comfort-rated to at least 20 degrees F (we provide a cot/mattress)
- Foam or ensolite sleeping pad for cots
- Fitted sheet (size single), pillow, and pillow case. Bring a top sheet and blanket if you like
- Broken-in, waterproof hiking boots
- Warm outer clothes, including coat, gloves, and a wool or fleece hat (it could snow!)
- Lightweight, light-colored long sleeve shirt and long pants (for the biting flies)
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- Field notebook, pencils, pens, paper, etc. (we sell some of these items)
- Sunscreen and sunglasses
- Alarm clock
- Insect repellent
- Toilet articles (including towel)
- Flashlight and batteries
- (Optional: laundry detergent and quarters for washer and dryer.)
Other Items to Consider
When deciding on clothes to bring to Gothic consider the climate and rustic conditions. Casual and rugged clothes are the rule. Gothic is not glamorous, and no one will blink if you wear the same thing for a week. Pack as minimally as possible especially considering that we have onsite laundry facilities (front-loading washing machines). Expect some rainy days, possibly snow, but also remember how strong the sun's rays can be at 9,500' elevation. During the day it can be as warm as 75 degrees F, but once the sun goes down it cools rapidly, and can freeze any night of the summer. The most successful way of dressing is in layers so you can keep up with the rapidly changing weather.
Most people will do some camping during the summer, so consider bringing your tent and other camping/backpacking gear. Your coursework may include a camping trip, so please check with your instructor. Other suggestions include a camera, binoculars, and field guides. We do have outdoor stores in nearby Crested Butte, but being a tourist town, these shops can be expensive.
If you wear contact lenses, make sure you also bring your glasses. At our elevation the humidity is very low, and our roads are unpaved and dusty. You will also notice that the air dries out your nose, lips and skin so consider bringing some moisturizers, lubricants, and lip care products.