Rates and Fees
All prices are in American Dollars. Below are the rates for 2013 (finalized on October 24, 2012). For printing purposes, a PDF of all rates and fees is located here.
|FEE TYPE||FEE AMOUNT|
|Student Class Application Fee||$0 if submitted on or before 15 February|
|$30 if submitted later|
|Continuing and Research Assistant (RA) Application Fee||$30|
|Collector Application Fee||$10 if submitted on or before 1 February|
|Additional $25 processing fee if received after 1 February|
|New/Renewal Application Fees||$80 if submitted by appropriate deadline|
|Additional $50 processing fee if received after 1 February|
|Animal Care Protocol Forms
||$25 if submitted on or before 1 February|
|Additional $25 processing fee if submitted after 1 February|
|Research/Animal Care Supplements for Approved Projects
||$0 if submitted on or before 1 February|
|$25 if submitted after 1 February and requires extensive review|
|Visiting Scientist/Guest Application Fee||$0|
|Required from accepted students and REU students. The deposit will be cashed and returned at the end of the season pending outstanding charges. PIs, RAs, staff, and family members should not submit deposits.|
|Station Use Fee
||$16.75/day for every person 17 years of age or older living in Gothic|
The station use fee is calculated from the arrival date until the departure date; individuals will be charged for days during which they are gone unless they have completely moved out of their cabin in Gothic and made prior arrangements with the Director of Finance and Operations.
This fee also applies to researchers and research assistants who live off-site but work through RMBL to cover administrative research-related costs. While station fees are charged for family members living in Gothic, this is not the case for family members of researchers living off-site. For some researchers who live offsite and work through RMBL we recognize that charging station fees from arrival to departure date may not be appropriate. In such a case, the Principal Investigator may request in writing to the Director of Finance and Operations to get an amendment and to propose how the offsite researcher station fees should be counted. The proposal should include which part of your stay does not have anything to do with RMBL research.
|Student Coursework Fee
||10-week summer session: $5,100.00 Please Note: these fees do not include class supplies such as books, etc. Check each course for any additional costs.|
|Includes room, meals, tuition and station use fees.|
Early Arrival and Late Departure
All students receive 70 consecutive days of housing, meals, station fees, and tuition. Two additional days may be added on to both the beginning and/or the end with no additional costs. Students are responsible for any days beyond those. RMBL does not reduce fees for shorter stays. RMBL REU students, including REU supplements funded through RMBL, may have housing, meals, and station fees waived if they are working on their own research projects.
RMBL has special rates for visiting groups. Please contact the Director of Finance and Operations for more information.
Grants Run Through the RMBL
RMBL provides a 25% discount on station fees and housing paid by grants or subcontracts run through RMBL.
Pets are not allowed at the RMBL any time of the year. Dogs and cats should not be inside the RMBL fenceline, even within vehicles. Please park vehicles with pets at the visitor parking lot or on the county road. People violating these restrictions will be warned once, and then fined $50/incident.
At your request a phone line can be installed in your cabin or dorm. RMBL charges $45 per summer for the installation and maintenance of a phone line. If you would like an extension in your lab, or anywhere else, the charge is an additional $25. All charges are in addition to CenturyLink fees for service and installation.
Please contact the Accounting Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
Those who wish to store research, lab, or personal items at RMBL outside of lab spaces which they have rented year-round will be charged the following annual rates:
- $40 for research equipment in Old Johnson Lab, Willey Lab, or Murray sheds, attics, common use spaces (3 boxes or fewer)
- $75 for research equipment in Old Johnson Lab, Willey Lab, or Murray sheds, attics, common use spaces (4 boxes or more)
- $150 for Murray, entire room
- $75 for Murray, half a room
- $150 for Richards Shed
- $125 for Hydro Plant
- $25 for personal items stored in cabins not to be shared with users unless you have a written exclusive use or first use agreement (3 boxes or fewer)
- $50 for personal items stored in cabins not to be shared with users unless you have a written exclusive use or first use agreement (4 boxes or more)
Storage is not available in private labs rented on a per-day basis. Research items that are stored at RMBL must be registered with the Science Director (email@example.com). Personal items that are stored in cabins must be registered with the Director of Finance and Operations (firstname.lastname@example.org). Non-registered items will be thrown away and/or assessed a storage fee of $50/year.
RMBL will charge $35/person/hour with a $35 minimum per person for dealing with personal items. This includes, but is not limited to, cleaning up personal items in cabins, moving personal items between cabins, moving items between research labs, and cleaning up research materials in the field.
- Between 1 April and 1 May, researchers or their assistants who change their length of stay for a total of more than 7 days (e.g. if you planned to be in Gothic for 65 days but change that to 57) will incur a one-time fee of $25.
- Any date changes after 1 May that result in a total reduction in length of stay of more than 7 days during the period of June 1 and Aug. 24 will result in a charge of 100% of the lost revenue associated with station fees, laboratory fees, and housing to RMBL (after the 7 days have been subtracted).
- Dates can be changed once at no charge. After one change has been made (either reduction or extension of stay), we charge a $10 processing fee for each additional change of dates.
- Fee waivers will only be granted in cases of personal illness (with doctor’s documentation) or family emergencies such as death or illness in family.
- Researchers who decide after 1 May that they wish to extend the length of their stay should understand that it might not be possible if their housing or lab has been assigned to someone else. There is no financial penalty for extending a stay, just the chance that it might not be possible to accommodate your needs. If you decide to extend your stay, you will need to let the office know ASAP. You may not be able to stay in the same cabin if you extend your stay.
Important: The arrival and departure dates you provide on your application are used to assign housing. Housing is generally very tight and finely scheduled. It is very important that you plan to arrive and depart on the dates you submitted. If you arrive a day early, we may not have space for you or your cabin may not be open yet. Your departure date is especially important since someone is likely going into your space the day you leave. You should contact the office immediately if your arrival and/or departure dates change.
RMBL has two cabins available from December 1 to April 15 as part of the Nordic Hut System. RMBL rates are available for: RMBL scientists with an active research plan, RMBL members who have donated within the last 12 months, and special education groups with approval from the Executive Director, Development Director, or Director of Finance and Operations.
- Maroon Cabin accommodates up to 8 people, and rents to a single party or group for $173.00 per night through RMBL.
- Forest Queen Cabin houses up to 6 people, and rents to a single party or group for $15.25 per person per night through RMBL.
Cancellation policy: RMBL will need to be informed of the number of users at either Maroon Cabin or Forest Queen Cabin at least 8 days prior to your trip. If you need to cancel more than 7 days prior to the beginning of your trip, for any reason besides high/extreme avalanche hazard, you will be billed a $5.00/per reservation day cancellation fee. If you need to cancel, for any reason besides high/extreme avalanche hazard, within 7 days of the beginning of your trip you will be billed for the full cost of the reservation rental fees. You will have the option to rebook for free during the same winter season. If you are canceling because the avalanche danger is high or extreme, you will receive a full refund or rebook the hut at no extra cost.
The Nordic Center in Crested Butte manages public rental of these huts and sets their own rental rate. Details are available on the Nordic Center website.
Official RMBL transcripts are available at $5.00 per transcript. Transcript details are found here.
Once accepted, researchers, research assistants, students, and others are obligated to pay all fees that apply to the facilities and services they have requested. Principal Investigators are responsible for the financial obligations of all team members they employ. Persons delinquent in payment of fees may not return to the RMBL until all outstanding bills for themselves and their research teams have been paid. All individuals are responsible for any collection fees above and beyond interest charges for accounts delinquent more than one year.
Any exceptions to these rates and policies must be granted in advance in writing from the Director of Finance and Operations or the Executive Director.
The rate sheet supersedes any other information on the website or that is given orally. In case of a contradiction, we go by information on the rate sheet. Interpretation of this rate sheet is by the Director of Finance and Operations and can be appealed to the Executive Director.