August 25th - 27th, 2023 in Gothic, Colorado
GREEBS Returns to RMBL in 2023
Please join us for this year’s Guild of Rocky Mountain Ecologists and Evolutionary Biologists (GREEBS) meeting at the Rocky Mountain Biological Laboratory in Gothic, Colorado between Friday, August 25th to Sunday, August 27th, 2023
GREEBs is the progeny of the Guild of Rocky Mountain Population Biologists (GRMPBs) meeting, which started over 40 years ago.
GREEBs is an opportunity for researchers to get together and share results and ideas with scientists who primarily work and /or live in the Rockies. Contributions from any field of ecology and evolutionary biology are welcome. There will be two invited keynote presentations, one Friday night and the other on Saturday night – Keynote speakers will be announced later in the summer.
Contributed talks will be presented most of Saturday and Sunday morning (probably 15 minutes each, depending on the number of contributors). This year will also feature a poster session on Saturday afternoon.
Registration is $285 and includes meals and snacks from Dinner on Friday night to lunch on Sunday. Lodging is additional and will depend on the attendee’s selected housing level.
Friday, August 25th
1 – 9:30 pm: Check-in at the billy barr community center
2:30 – 4:30 pm: Optional guided hikes and tours around Gothic
6 – 7 pm: Dinner with beer and wine cash bar
7:15 pm: Welcome and Orientation
7:30 pm – 9:30 pm: Keynote lecture followed by campfire social
Saturday, August 26th
7 – 8 am: Breakfast
8:15 – 9:45 am: Contributed Session I
9:45 – 10:15 am: Break
10:15 – 11:30: Contributed Session II
11:30 – 11:45 am: Group photo outside the billy barr community center
Noon – 1 pm: Lunch
1 – 2:15 pm: Contributed Session III
2:15 – 2:45: Break
2:45 – 4 pm: Contributed Session IV
4 – 4:30 pm: Break
4:30 – 5:45 pm: Poster session with wine and beer sales
6 – 7 pm: Dinner
7:15 – 9:30: Keynote speaker followed by campfire social
Sunday, August 27th
7 – 8 am: Breakfast
8:15 – 9:45: Contributed Session V
9:45 – 10:15: Break
10:15 – 11:45: Contributed Session VI
Noon – 1 pm: Lunch
1 pm: Meeting Adjourned
Housing is not included in your conference registration; however, the Rocky Mountain Biological Laboratory has many different lodging options available for conference guests.
- Premium Single Occupant Bedroom – $100/ night
- Premium Double Occupant Bedroom – $50/ night
- Mid-Rate Single Occupant Bedroom $75/ night
- Mid-Rate Double Occupant Bedroom $25/ night
- Student Double Occupant Bedroom $15/ night
Premium cabins include RMBL’s most comfortable cabins with kitchens, showers, and some with indoor toilets.
Mid-Rate cabins include well-insulated lodging with kitchens and showers.
Student housing amenities will vary and those that select this rate should be prepared to use the shower house on campus.
- Most cabins are rustic and do not have indoor plumbing. Outhouses are commonplace.
- Guests will need to bring their own bedding, towels, and toiletries. A recommended packing list can be found Here.
- Cabin levels are assigned on a first-requested basis and may not be available for later registrants. RMBL staff will reach out directly if your cabin level is not available.
- Pets are not allowed anywhere on the RMBL campus.
If you choose to stay off-site, Mt. Crested Butte is a 10-minute drive from RMBL and the town of Crested Butte is a 20-minute drive.
Meals at RMBL
3 Meals per day, snacks, and coffee breaks will be provided for conference attendees at the billy barr Community Center Dining Hall.
Meals are prepared from scratch by a dedicated culinary team and served buffet-style with meat, vegetarian, and vegan options.
More restrictive diets, including complicated allergies, cannot be guaranteed; however, an area to prepare your own meals may be arranged if requested in advance.
For all dining hall questions: Please email our Dining Hall Manager Robert Buskirk-Lechner at email@example.com
Travel to Gothic, CO
Sign up to join or create a carpool here: https://www.groupcarpool.com/t/ws2ij3
RMBL physical address: 8000 CR 317 Crested Butte, CO 81224
Denver – Car Rentals | Denver International Airport (flydenver.com)
The Gunnison Airport has three rental companies, Hertz, Avis, and Budget.
The closest airport is Gunnison, CO (GUC) – 34 miles/50 minutes from Gothic
Shuttles from the Gunnison Airport to Gothic
Montrose, CO (MTJ) – 70 miles/2 hours*
*Please note that a road project in Little Blue Canyon could impact road travel. More information on this project can be found here: Home | US 50 Little Blue Creek Improvements (us50info.com)
Grand Junction, CO – (GJT) – 163 miles/3 hours
Denver, CO – (DIA) – 251 miles/ 4.5 hours
Bus from Denver
There is a bus service between Crested Butte and Denver, CO. The service is operated by Bustang, and the cost is about $45.00 one-way. Tickets can be purchased on the Bustang Outrider m-Tix mobile App (Android/iOS) The bus arrives/departs from Union Station (1701 Wynkoop St. Denver, CO) and arrives/departs the Crested Butte 4-Way Stop (North of 6th and Elk Avenue, Crested Butte, CO 81224)
Denver to Crested Butte
- Depart Denver: 1:50 pm
- Arrive in Crested Butte: 7:35 pm
- Travel Time: 5 hr 45 min
Crested Butte to Denver
- Depart Crested Butte: 5:15 am
- Arrive in Denver: 10:50 am
- Travel Time: 5 hr 35 min
Traveling between Denver Union Station and Denver International Airport (DIA)
Every 15 minutes the University of Colorado A-line bus travels between Denver International Airport (DIA) and Denver Union Station. The cost is $9 one way and the trip takes 37 minutes. Go to the Denver RTD for more information. Please plan accordingly.
Please read before registering:
- Registration Deadline: Please register by July 20th. If an adequate number of registrations are not received by this date, RMBL reserves the right to cancel the event.
- Cost: The 2023 GREEBS Conference cost is $285, which will include all conference events and presentations, 3 meals per day, snacks, and coffee breaks at the RMBL Dining Hall. On-site housing is available and rates depend on the level of housing requested and assigned.
- COVID-19 Policy: RMBL requires participants to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Booster shots are recommended. 2023 RMBL COVID-19 Policy. Please Note: As the conference event is optional to attend, masks will only be required while in the dining hall’s servery area.
- Cancellation Policy: Registration fees of $65/person will not be returned. 50% of the total fee paid will be returned for cancellations made after July 26th, 2023. The paid fee will not be returned for cancellations made less than 24 hours before the scheduled arrival. Fees will not be returned for early departures.
- Conference Code of Conduct: All attendees are expected to adhere to the RMBL Conference Code of Conduct Policy
- Housing: On-site housing is available and rates depend on the level of housing requested and assigned (see Lodging, Meals, and Travel).”
- Phones & Wi-Fi: The campus does not have cell reception but does have excellent Wi-Fi. It is recommended that you set up Wi-Fi calling on your phone before your visit.
- Pets: Are not allowed on the RMBL campus.
- Smoking: RMBL is a smoke-free campus, smoking is allowed on the county road running through Gothic.
Abstract and Poster Session submissions will close on July 20th.
For the Poster Session: 36 x 48” corrugated sheets on easels will be provided that can be set up vertically or horizontally and posters will be attached with binder clips.