Host Your Science Education Course or Workshop at RMBL
Would you like to host your science education course or workshop at RMBL in the summers? We have space in June or August to host your small group of 6-30 people.
Detailed information on hosting a group at RMBL (capacity, meals, amenities) can be found under Host a Conference.
Meeting Space: In the Barclay building on campus we have 2 classrooms that can be set up with a projector and a screen. Classrooms seat ~30 (the maximum) in rows without tables, ~18 in rows with tables and ~12 in a horseshoe-shaped table facing a screen. The library in the Barclay building serves as another breakout room with projector and screen. It seats lecture style ~25 people and at tables facing a screen ~15 people. Ruby Lounge, a communal cabin, and Town Hall, a prominent historic building in Gothic, can also be set up as break-out rooms. They seat ~20 lecture-style and a mobile PowerPoint projector is available for use. Cost per meeting space is $110/day. If your group rents two meeting spaces at the same time, the cost is $195 for both spaces. A computer laboratory with 14 spots may be set up for use if prior arrangements are made. This will cost a one-time fee of $100 for set up plus $110/day for use.
Additionally, the Community Center has a small conference room (429 sq ft) with a conference table that seats 18 comfortably. One table end is empty during presentations, so the room seats 17 around the table for presentations. The conference room has a wall mounted flat screen TV with Skype capability. A computer can be plugged into the flat screen for presentations. The cost is $220/day.
Research / Education: Educational and research activities will need to be reviewed by the RMBL Research Committee, coordinated through the Science Director. Dr. Jennie Reithel (contact: firstname.lastname@example.org), and may require permitting and/or guides. An approved RMBL Project Plan will be required for class research projects in and around Gothic. Standard application fees apply including charges associated with late submissions of an application. Any use of RMBL or USFS property, other than trails, parking, and housing will need to be described in the plan and approved by RMBL. RMBL does not guarantee that any particular use will be approved. There are fees associated with these services.
If RMBL assistance is requested in developing programs, including identifying and/or contacting potential scientists, there will be a charge of $50/hour after the first hour of consultation.
Housing: Your group can be housed onsite and participants would be staying in cabins with other scientists who already live onsite. Cabin assignments will be made based upon gender and cabin availability. We will try to house participants in the same cabins, but we may need to intersperse them with other scientists, depending on cabin availability.
Many of the RMBL facilities, including cabins, are rustic, which adds a great appeal to living and studying at a high-altitude field station. Some cabins are poorly insulated, do not have heat, lack any running water and do not have indoor toilets or showers. Outhouses are used for toilet facilities. The water system is unreliable during the shoulder season, but central water is readily available. Individuals should bring a warm sleeping bag (rated to 20 degrees) and towels as RMBL does not provide sheets, blankets and pillows as part of the basic rate.
Please go to the Groups Housing page to read more about the different type of cabins that may be available.
Terms and Rates:
- In 2020, the full package (onsite housing, Station & Equipment Use fees, and meals) is $100/person/day. This is contingent on the group leader making reservations for the entire group.
- If you would like to stay offsite (bed & breakfasts, hotels, and condos are available in nearby towns of Mt. Crested Butte and Crested Butte) and do the workshop in Gothic, you’d incur Station & Equipment Use fees in the amount of $32/person/day.
- If you’d like to have 3 meals/day (we serve breakfast at 7am, lunch at Noon, dinner at 6pm), it costs $41/person/day while our Dining Hall is open. We could price out individual meals, if that would be of interest to you. If you would like to add coffee and snacks to your meeting amenities, please contact us for pricing.
- To rent one Barclay classroom it costs $110/day/group. If you’d like to rent both classrooms, the cost would be $195/day/group. You could also rent lab space or the computer lab (it has 14 spots) at similar prices.
- If you’d like to book the conference room in the billy barr community center, which seats 18 at a conference table (it has 429 sq ft), this costs $220/day.
- We ask for a $750 deposit upon booking.
- Your group will need to provide insurance for participants in the program and provide RMBL proof of such insurance in order to reserve and use housing spots.
- Pets are not allowed at RMBL.
- The RMBL campus is smoke-free, and there is no smoking allowed within the RMBL fenceline. Smoking is allowed on the county road only.
- Researchers with Approved Research Plans pay researcher rates for themselves.
- Group leaders may receive discounts.
Contact: Please contact email@example.com if you are interested in bringing your small group. We will then discuss details and finalize a contract. It is best to finalize your group by March, as then we plan for and assign housing in April.