Summer Packing List for Life in Gothic
When deciding what to bring to Gothic consider the climate and rustic conditions. Casual and rugged clothes are the rule and clothes that can be layered are key. Expect rainy days, possibly snow, but also remember how strong the sun’s rays can be at 9,500′ elevation. During the day it can be as warm as 75 degrees F, but once the sun goes down it cools rapidly and can freeze any night of the summer.
1. Must-Haves in Gothic
- Sleeping bag comfort-rated to at least 20 degrees F (we provide a mattress)
- Fitted sheet (size single), pillow, and pillowcase. Bring a top sheet if you like. (RMBL does not provide linens)
- Broken-in, waterproof hiking boots
- Shower shoes & towel
- Toiletries (body wash/soap, toothpaste, toothbrush)
- Rain jacket
- Warm clothing, including coat, gloves, and a hat (it could snow!)
- Lightweight long sleeve shirt and long pants (for the biting flies)
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- Field notebook, pencils, pens, paper, etc.
- Sunscreen, sunglasses, and sunhat
- Quarters for the laundry room
- Laundry detergent
- Insect repellent
- Flashlight/headlamp and batteries
- Chapstick and body lotion (the air is very dry)
- Contact lenses/glasses
- Personal prescriptions
2. What Else to Bring
You may want to go camping during the summer, so consider bringing your tent and other backpacking gear. Other suggestions include a camera, binoculars, and field guides. We do have outdoor stores in nearby Crested Butte, but these shops can be expensive. At our elevation, the humidity is very low, and our roads are unpaved and dusty. You will also notice that the air dries out your nose, lips, and skin so consider bringing moisturizers and lip care products. If you have a mountain bike and are able to drive out, consider bringing it to get around the townsite.
The Exchange Closet
It might be helpful to new residents to know that there is an exchange closet full of dishes, cookware, silverware, books, games, clothes, and other items left from past residents. If you forget something or don’t have space in your luggage, you may be able to find what you need here.