- The Crystal Upper Cabin sleeps 8 people on 8 twin beds. There are 4 bedrooms, 2 small living areas, a shared kitchen, and a bathroom with a shower and flush toilet.
- The Crystal Lower Cabin sleeps 6 people on 6 twin beds. There are 3 bedrooms, 1 large living and dining area, a shared kitchen, and a bathroom with a shower and flush toilet.
- Crystal Upper and Lower share an entryway. If both the upper and lower are not rented together, guests will likely encounter another group during their stay. Masks are not required by RMBL but are encouraged in shared spaces.
- The cost for either Crystal Upper or Crystal Lower is $325 per night (plus 8.9% tax).
The Maroon Hut will not be rented to the public during the 2021 -2022 winter season due to research and educational programming needs.
- The Maroon hut sleeps 8 people on 6 twin beds and 1 double bed in the upstairs living area.
- The cost is $325 per night (plus 8.9% tax). The hut can only be rented by one party reserving the entire hut. We will not book other people in the hut the same night.
- A new forest service-style outhouse can be reached by walking along a snow path behind the cabin. There is no indoor toilet in Maroon.
Conditions of Winter Hut Rental
- Users of the Gothic Huts shall NOT ski into or out of Gothic during HIGH or EXTREME avalanche conditions, as we do not allow travel in and out of Gothic during these conditions. This is a condition of using the winter hut.
- Check in time is 2 p.m. Check out time is 11 a.m.
- The huts have infloor heat, electricity and running water.
- There is a full supply of cookware: full sized oven, microwave, stovetop burners, etc. It also has plates, pots & pans, a coffeemaker, and silverware to take care of 99% of your cooking needs. Things like a crock-pot or a pastry cutter do not exist out there.
- Make sure to bring: lighter, food (including coffee and filters), sleeping bag, pillow, towels, paper towels, and shampoo and body soap.
- Take all of your trash home with you, including all food.
- There are absolutely NO DOGS, no Snowmobiles, and no hunting in Gothic.
- It takes 1 to 2 hours to skin out to the cabins (mostly downhill).
- Since the cabins are located at RMBL where numerous research projects lie beneath the snow around the cabins please do not ski anywhere in the Gothic townsite except to and from your cabin, and do not build snowpits or snowcaves.
- Renters are required to clean and disinfect the cabin before they checkout. This includes sweeping, mopping, cleaning the bathroom, kitchen, living and sleeping areas. All dishes need to be washed and put away. All cleaning and disinfecting supplies will be provided along with a cleaning checklist on how to leave the cabin. Renters must leave the cabin in a condition that is equal or better than you found it and in a way you’d want to find the hut in. Thank you for doing your part.
If you have questions or need assistance, RMBL caretakers live at the Rogers-Boggs (adjacent to the Maroon Hut) and Gates cabin (East side of Gothic up the hill) – see map of Gothic for details.
How to Get to the Winter Cabins
Directions: HWY 135 to Mt CB. Continue on this road (Gothic Rd) until its end. This is the winter trailhead for Snodgrass and Gothic. You can drop people and equipment here, but cannot park overnight. Overnight parking for the RMBL huts is located .5 miles south of the trailhead on Gothic Road at the Fantasy Ranch parking lot. Renters can have up to 2 cars per cabin rental and passes and instructions will be sent prior to arrival.
You can take the bus right to the Snodgrass Trailhead. Check out the routes and schedules from Mountain Express!
The hut is a 4-mile, one-way ski on moderate terrain. Depending on snow conditions, avalanche hazards DO exist so you MUST check the avalanche conditions with the Crested Butte Avalanche Center before departing. Users of the Gothic Huts shall NOT ski into or out of Gothic during HIGH or EXTREME avalanche conditions, as we do not allow travel in and out of Gothic during these conditions. This is a condition of using the winter hut.
Be sure you know the exact location of the hut – here you can download a map of Gothic, where Maroon Hut and the new Crystal cabin are located. Be prepared for a variety of winter weather conditions. Bring along adequate equipment and food for your stay. Be prepared to “rough it” in case of emergency. We recommend bringing and knowing how to use avalanche beacons as the route passes several potential avalanche areas.
Any changes or cancelations require a 30 day advance notice for an 90% refund of total trip booked. Cancelations made less than 30 days prior to your trip start date will result in forfeiture of your payment. The one exception to this policy is in the event of avalanche danger rated high or extreme by the Crested Butte Avalanche Center, or an elevated avalanche danger under which your group is not comfortable traveling the Gothic Road. In the case of high or extreme danger as rated by the Crested Butte Avalanche Center you can get a full refund of your fees or re-book the hut at no extra cost. In other cases, a cabin credit will be issued which will be valid through the following winter hut season. We expect the cancellation policy to be used in good faith. Please email email@example.com to make arrangements.
If you are unable to arrive at your booked dates, please inform the caretakers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each hut trip participant will need to fill out a RMBL liability waiver once they arrive at the cabin. A winter caretaker will pick up the waivers the morning after your first night.
Please see available dates on the calendar below beginning on Monday, November 1st at 10 am Mountain Time.
If there are date conflicts after you reserve, a RMBL staff member will reach out to you. If you have any questions please email RMBL winter caretakers at email@example.com (preferred) or call them at 970-349-7156.
If the purpose of your trip is education or research-related, contact the Science Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.