The Maroon Hut and the Crystal Cabin in Gothic, Colorado are available for winter use between the night of Wednesday, November 25, 2020 and the night of Saturday, April 10, 2021, departing Sunday April 11, 2021. Please see the calendar at the bottom of this page for dates that are available. Any dates that say “RSVP” are available to reserve. Please follow the instructions below.
The Maroon Hut has raised the bar for backcountry living with a ground source heat pump for heating and hot water, electricity, a full blown kitchen with running water, four bedrooms, and an outhouse.
- The Maroon hut sleeps 8 people on 6 twin beds and 1 double bed in the upstairs living area.
- The cost is $300 per night (plus 8.9% tax). The hut can only be rented by one party reserving the entire hut. We will not book other people in the hut the same night.
- A new forest service style outhouse can be reached by walking along a snow path behind the cabin. There is no indoor toilet in Maroon.
- The Crystal cabin sleeps 8 people on 8 twin beds in the downstairs apartment. (2 bedrooms with 3 twins and 1 bedroom with 2 twins)
- The cost is $300 per night (plus 8.9% tax).
- The cabin has an indoor toilet.
Conditions of Winter Hut Rental
- Users of the Gothic Huts shall NOT ski into or out of Gothic during HIGH or EXTREME avalanche conditions, as we do not allow travel in and out of Gothic during these conditions. This is a condition of using the winter hut.
- Check in time is 2 p.m. Check out time is 11 a.m.
- The huts have infloor heat, electricity and running water.
- There is a full supply of cookware: full sized oven, microwave, stovetop burners, etc. It also has plates, pots & pans, a coffeemaker, and silverware to take care of 99% of your cooking needs. Things like a crock-pot or a pastry cutter do not exist out there.
- Make sure to bring: lighter, food (including coffee and filters), sleeping bag, pillow, towels, paper towels, and shampoo and body soap.
- Take all of your trash home with you, including all food.
- There are absolutely NO DOGS, no Snowmobiles, and no hunting in Gothic.
- It takes 1 to 2 hours to skin out to the cabins (mostly downhill).
- Since the cabins are located at RMBL where numerous research projects lie beneath the snow around the cabins please do not ski anywhere in the Gothic townsite except to and from your cabin, and do not build snowpits or snowcaves.
- Renters are required to clean and disinfect the cabin before they checkout. This includes sweeping, mopping, cleaning the bathroom, kitchen, living and sleeping areas. All dishes need to be washed and put away. All cleaning and disinfecting supplies will be provided along with a cleaning checklist on how to leave the cabin. Renters must leave the cabin in a condition that is equal or better than you found it and in a way you’d want to find the hut in. Thank you for doing your part.
If you have questions or need assistance, RMBL caretakers live at the Rogers-Boggs (adjacent to the Maroon Hut) and Gates cabin (East side of Gothic up the hill) – see map of Gothic for details.
How to Get to the Winter Cabins
Directions: HWY 135 to Mt CB. Continue on this road (Gothic Rd) until its end, parking is on the left. This is the winter trail-head for Snodgrass and Gothic.
You can take the bus right to the Gothic Trailhead. Check out the routes and schedules from Mountain Express!
The hut is a 4-mile, one-way ski on moderate terrain. Depending on snow conditions, avalanche hazards DO exist so you MUST check the avalanche conditions with the Crested Butte Avalanche Center before departing. Users of the Gothic Huts shall NOT ski into or out of Gothic during HIGH or EXTREME avalanche conditions, as we do not allow travel in and out of Gothic during these conditions. This is a condition of using the winter hut.
Be sure you know the exact location of the hut – here you can download a map of Gothic, where Maroon Hut and the new Crystal cabin are located. Be prepared for a variety of winter weather conditions. Bring along adequate equipment and food for your stay. Be prepared to “rough it” in case of emergency. We recommend bringing and knowing how to use avalanche beacons as the route passes several potential avalanche areas.
Any changes or cancelations require a 30 day advance notice for an 90% refund of total trip booked. Cancelations made less than 30 days prior to your trip start date will result in forfeiture of your payment. The one exception to this policy is in the event of avalanche danger rated high or extreme by the Crested Butte Avalanche Center, or an elevated avalanche danger under which your group is not comfortable traveling the Gothic Road. In the case of high or extreme danger as rated by the Crested Butte Avalanche Center you can get a full refund of your fees or re-book the hut at no extra cost. In other cases, a cabin credit will be issued which will be valid through the following winter hut season. We expect the cancellation policy to be used in good faith. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements.
If you are unable to arrive at your booked dates, please inform the caretakers at email@example.com.
Each hut trip participant will need to fill out a RMBL liability waiver, which will be sent to the team leader ahead of time.
Please see available dates on the calendar below. Some reservations are for two nights and some are for just one night. If a date on the calendar says “RSVP” it is still available to rent.
By selecting RSVP, you are making a reservation request and will be contacted by a RMBL staff member when your reservation is confirmed, at which time, you will be prompted to pay online for your booked nights and sign a waiver. Full payment by E-Check, Visa or MasterCard is due at the time of reservation. If there are date conflicts a RMBL staff member will reach out to you. If you have any questions please email RMBL winter caretakers Kristi Haner or Alex Tiberio at firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or call them at 970-349-7156.
If the purpose of your trip is education or research related, contact the Science Director at email@example.com.