Guidelines for All Applications/Registrations
- If you are a Principal Investigator (PI) and your research approval has expired, fill out a New/Renewal Application by February 1. This includes submitting a Project Description and CV. Instructions for Project Descriptions are HERE.
- If you have an approved research plan that is current, please submit Annual Research Questions (previously known as a Continuing Application) by April 1, to be prioritized for lab space and other facility and service needs.
- Each member of a PI’s research team must have their own account and their own housing and research visit reservations in the RMBL Community Portal. The only exception is for family members under the age of 18.
Project Start Dates: Applications for New or Renewal of Research submitted before October 15th begin the year in which they were submitted while applications submitted after October 15th will begin the following year.
Project End Dates: Projects end April 15th in the year after they expire. In other words, if a research plan is submitted on Jan. 15, 2023 for five years, that project would become inactive as of April 15th, 2028.
Genetic Experiments: Genetic experiments that involve moving genetic material among organisms of different species, in a way that would not naturally occur, will be scrutinized carefully and may be denied in some cases. The risk that genes could escape and cause ecological disruption is weighed against the perceived scientific value of the proposed research. Scientists proposing this type of genetic experiment must submit a pre-proposal to the Science Director by October 1 or 7 months prior to initiation of the research, whichever comes first.
Application/Registration Instructions by User
Contact the Science Director, if you don’t fit into one of the categories below or have questions. Late applications can be accepted in most cases, though there is a late fee. Simple supplementary research projects can be added to an approved research plan by Feb.1 with no fee. After Feb.1, there is a fee to review supplementary research projects.
All researchers and their team members individually set up accounts in the RMBL Community portal. Many people set up accounts last year and have an existing account. Once scientists have an account, they can submit a research application and upload documents. By March, everyone will also be able to submit housing and field visit requests. Scientists can log in to their accounts at any time to update information and upload documents.
Researchers with their own research plans should follow these instructions.
- Login to your existing Portal account or, if you are a new researcher, set up your account in the RMBL Community Portal here: https://rmbl.force.com/
- Click on ‘Submit a Research Application’
- Choose ‘New/Renewal’ if you are a new researcher or if your project is up for renewal this year (deadline Feb. 1). You will be asked to submit a non-technical abstract, Duration of project (1-5 years), and you will be asked to upload a Project Description and CV. The application will then roll into the annual questions about labspace etc.
- Alternatively, if your project is approved at least through this year, choose ‘Research Application Annual Update’ (deadline April 1). Previously this was called a ‘continuing research application’ The ‘annual update’ form asks for information on your labspace, research sites, publications, funding, and billing information. Here are instructions.
- Later this winter (e.g., March) you can Submit a Field work and/or Housing request (for offsite and onsite stays). Housing requests received by April 1 will be prioritized.
- Later this winter/spring (e.g. April/May), you can Submit a meals request (optional).
- Instructions for New/Renewal Project descriptions.
- Research application detailed instructions and checklist of information needed.
- Permits, Safety, and Research Sites
- If you have questions about information requested in the Research Application, please contact the RMBL Science Director
- For general questions about the portal and application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 970-349-7231
Research Assistants who have already been hired to work for a Primary Investigator may register with RMBL. People searching for research assistant positions can check our Jobs page for postings.
The deadline for research assistants to register and submit summer housing requests is April 1, to be prioritized for onsite housing. Research Assistants living offsite should register with RMBL at least a week before they begin work.
We are pleased to announce that the housing, fieldwork, and meals management modules are live in the RMBL Community Portal! If you are new to the Portal, it is a developing system where the RMBL community can request, manage, and track many RMBL logistics. The first stage includes the modules listed above, but the platform will continue to be expanded to include more elements in the future. As with any system in production, you may come across a glitch. Please contact RMBL admin if you have any issues. Thanks!
For those requesting summer 2023 housing, the priority summer housing deadline is by the end of the day April 1. Please submit your requests by then.
Basic elements of the RMBL Community Portal
- Personal Profile: You will set this up when you create your account. Here you will include basic details about yourself, your contact information, and your dietary preferences. Now you only have to enter this information once, and not in every form!
- Submit a Research Application: This module is only relevant to PIs to submit research plans and update their annual research information.
- Submit a Field Work and/or Housing Request: This module has two options. Each option requires that the activity is associated with an approved (or pending) RMBL research project or other activity. If you do not find your project/your PI’s project in the dropdown, please confirm with your PI or contact the RMBL admin office.
- Field Work: This is where you can submit fieldwork dates that do not require RMBL housing. This is a simple form to communicate when you will be working in the field. These entries are editable up until the end date of that particular fieldwork entry.
- Field Work with Housing: This is where you will submit requests for housing at RMBL. All adults must make their own housing requests, even if family housing is requested. Minors in a reservation can be noted in the provided field and do not need separate reservations at this time. Requests can be edited up until the April 1 priority summer housing deadline. After April 1, requests are locked, and changes can be made by contacting RMBL admin. Note: We are working to make the covid-19 fields always editable so that you can update vaccination information as it comes available. We are currently working on adding the functionality to display housing assignments and roommates as part of the housing request in the portal. Stay tuned for those updates once housing assignments are completed later this spring.
- Submit a Meal Reservation: This module allows you to reserve and manage meals in your portal account. Your dietary preferences and restrictions are added as part of your user profile and will carry over to all meal reservations made in the system. You can revisit your profile at any time in your account. Meal reservations can be edited up until the day before the meal, at which time they are locked for kitchen planning and prep. There are two ways to make meal reservations.
- Consecutive Day Reservations: If you are planning on eating meals for consecutive days (meal plan), you can use this module to make your reservations all at once.
- Singe Meal Reservation: Here you can make single meal reservations.
- Billing: Billing information is included as part of each request, and there is not a separate billing management module at this time. The information provided will flow to billy, who will provide your invoice based upon your The traditional application fees will be added to your first invoice of the season. Bonus: A future element of the portal is designed to be a billing summary where individuals can see a full accounting of the incurred charges, and PIs will be able to see all charges in the system associated with their projects in real-time.
This page is for scientists who wish to visit RMBL, e.g. if you are visiting to give a talk, are visiting with collaborators, or wish to visit RMBL in order to plan future research.
Scientists should only use these instructions if they are not planning on conducting research. Please contact the Director of Administration at email@example.com if you have any questions about whether you should use this process.
- Please set up a new account in the RMBL Community Portal.
- Submit a Fieldwork and/or Housing request (applications open in mid-February). Housing requests received before April 1st receive priority. You will need to select a PI/Project to be associated with. If your collaborators’ project is not listed, please contact our office (email above) or your collaborator.
- Select the reason for your visit: RET, ROA, or Visiting a PI (Visiting Scientist)
- Submit a meal(s) request (optional).
Non-Scientists and Students (Guests, Alumni, and Visitors)
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to have a guest visit during your stay or would like to be a guest at RMBL.
RMBL charges a 25% surcharge on station fees and housing for a visitor who is not a scientist (scientist is defined as someone who has an approved research application or is a visiting scientist), a research assistant, a student, staff member, or an immediate family member (partner, parent, or child) of a scientist, research assistant, student, or staff member. In 2024 station fees for guests, alumni, and visitors will be $33.50 per person per day. Housing costs will depend on where overnight availability is on campus. There is a maximum limit of 180 people living at RMBL on a daily basis, which includes guests, so it is possible that permission for guests may be denied.
Anyone who has an unregistered guest will pay a $50 penalty, and the guest may be asked to leave. You are responsible for your guests’ fees, as well as making certain they leave a clean living space. There will be a charge of $50/hour for cabins that are not left in clean condition.
The day-use fee for guests or visitors who wish to shower, dispose of daily trash, or use computers at RMBL is $17.00/day.